Friday, August 15, 2008

I'm glad I play water polo.

Two days ago I sat next to Daniel Cormier, who is an American Freestyle Wrestler in the 96kg weight class, on the bus from BNU (our training facility as described in a previous post) to the Village. The ride was about 20 minutes and we had a very nice chat. I learned a few things about wrestling and he asked me a few things about polo. For example: How on earth do the goalies jumps out of the water to block balls. She MUST be standing on something, right? - Nope. :) It is eggbeater and breaststroke kicks that allow her to come out of the water like that. The pool is way to deep for any of us to touch. It is all swimming and treading water! 

As I sat there and talked to him I noticed he was holding a small to-go box in his hand. It had a chicken sandwich in it. Just two pieces of dry bread. One piece of grilled chicken. One piece of lettuce. So I asked him if that was dinner, or just a nighttime snack. Thinking for SURE it was just a snack for the bus ride! He looked at me and said "No, it's dinner. The last time I ate was at 9:30 this morning."

WHAT!???!!!! Ok, so now I was utterly starving for him. This man was a big, muscularly strong man. How on earth was he able to sustain himself on just that? He told me about how he eats very little, especially when preparing to make weight. Then how after he makes weight he drinks tea and eats soup to expand his stomach before he can eat regularly. He will gain about 30 pounds in the time before he competes. Good lord I could not do that! I started laughing because I told him I ate like fifteen times what he did. He said that wasn't possible. Want to make a bet!

He asked what I had just ate for dinner. Now, the food at BNU is awesome. It is like being at home....actually better than home, because someone else is cooking it for us! That night I had eaten 5 BBQ chicken skewers, half a plate of grilled vegetables, a pile of potato wedges, a salad, three cupcakes, a plate of fresh fruit, and later when I was still hungry a grilled cheese. Yes. I eat a lot. 

It was his turn to laugh. Looking at me he said how is that possible....you must only weigh 140lbs....heck no, try 168. Then he said "Well, you must burn a lot of calories, but when you are done you better watch what you eat girl! You can't keep eating like that!" Don't worry I will. :) But for now....all that food is what helps me swim fast and sustain my energy for a whole game. 

While on the topic of food....tonight the chef made scallop and shrimp kabobs, lemon broccoli and twice baked potatoes!!! Talk about gourmet!!!! YUM!!!! For dessert I put rice pudding on top of an english muffin. It tasted like a churro!!!! 

2 comments:

Evi said...

You shoulda told him about the time you ate an entire large Zachary's pizza. Insane. I still tell people that and they don't believe me.

Or the 2 4x4s at In'n'out ...

ေနေရာင္ျခည္ said...

d